In 2013, a group of community members came together to answer the question, “What if we could create a system in Cumberland County that makes a suite of prevention and intervention, parent education and family support services available for all children and their families?” The Team is known as SOAR which stands for – Strengths in Overcoming Adversity thru Resiliency. On November 20, 2017, the SOAR Team unveiled the Community Child Abuse Prevention Plan to the Cumberland County Board of Commissioners. In 2019-2020, a Wilder Collaboration Survey was dispersed, SOAR gained knowledge on Family Friendly Policy in NC with PCANC’s Advocacy 101 training, and moving into 2021, SOAR will continue to revise their plan.
Read about Cumberland County’s Goals and Objectives below. Download Cumberland County’s Community Prevention Action Plan Here.
Cumberland County plans to prevent child maltreatment
- Build the Capacity of Parents and Prevention Partners to Understand, Deliver, Evaluate, and Advocate for the Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect.
- Increase Social/Emotional Competence of Children
- Build Parental Resilience
- Increase Knowledge of Parenting and Child Development
- Build Concrete Support in Times of Need
- Increase Social Connections
- Cultivate Beneficial Prevention-Focused Partnerships to Create Shared Language, Efficiency, and Reach
- Collective action to reduce child protection risks
- Build assets and increase thriving sustainable networks of services and supports
- Contribute to Child Protection
- Influence Community to Promote and Support Child Protection