March 6, 2023
Morrisville, North Carolina – Prevent Child Abuse NC has been named a Family Forward NC Certified Employer by the North Carolina Early Childhood Foundation’s Family Forward NC initiative.
Launched in 2018, Family Forward NC is an innovative initiative to improve children’s health and well-being and keep North Carolina’s businesses competitive. It is employer-led change to increase access to research-based, family-friendly practices — big and small — that improve workplace productivity, recruitment and retention; grow a strong economy; and support children’s healthy development. To date, Family Forward NC has engaged with more than 6,900 employers across North Carolina.
A Family Forward NC Employer Certification designates employers that offer policies and practices that support the health and well-being of working families and children. To achieve certification, an employer must offer best-practice policies in one or more of five main areas:
- paid leave and wages;
- accommodations for pregnant and breastfeeding workers;
- child care;
- health and wellness benefits; and
- scheduling practices.
Family Forward NC defines best-practice policies through:
- the North Carolina Early Childhood Foundation’s Pathways to Grade-Level Reading Measures of Success and Action Frameworks;
- guidance from medical organizations such as the American Academy of Pediatrics or the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists; and
- guidance from our partners in early childhood organizations, including the Child Care Services Association, MomsRising, the North Carolina Breastfeeding Association, and others.
“When we provide family-friendly policies in the workplace, we’re reducing the overload of stress that families face.” said PCANC President & CEO Sharon Hirsch. “We’re proud to be recognized as a Family Forward NC Certified Employer because we not only advocate for family-friendly policies as a strategy to nurture positive childhoods, but we also aim to showcase that even in a small nonprofit organization like ours, employers can make a positive difference for the families of employees. We aim to walk the talk on family-friendly policies.”
Read more from the NC Early Childhood Foundation’ Family Forward Employer Certification here.